Monday, November 23, 2009

Marketing Monday - Word of Mouth Referrals

If you don't have a lot of money in your advertising budget, as I did, I relied on word of mouth to get started. I told everyone... I mean everyone I know that I was starting my photography business. I also told them that anyone that they referred to me as long as that person told me who referred them, I would give them a $50 print credit for a future session. (P.s. they can combine that with other offers like when I started my GRAND OPENING BUZZ and I did 50% off session fees for one month) The $50 print credit would get you 2 5x7's and those cost me almost nothing, however, to a potential client that is a lot of money.

I also let every customer know that I have a referral program. I tell them at booking and ask if they have any friends, families or coworkers that need photographic services- because some people make appts a couple weeks in advance. If there referral sneaks in before them, they get $ off their session. Also, at the end of the session, I explain it again when we are giving instruction, when to view sneak peeks, online ordering, etc. Then I put a few referral cards in their order package and some business cards.  Since they are now on my mailing list (capture an email with every booking) I mention in EVERY newsletter about the referral program. A lot of successful photographers run completely off of their website and word of mouth. Imagine how much they don't spend on Advertising. Major newspaper and magazine advertising is EXPENSIVE! Plus who is better at advertising than a satisfied customer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swagbucks