Friday, November 13, 2009

Thrifty Family tip

I was doing some figuring and realized that my family eats out way too much - at least 2 times per week for dinner and usually breakfast and lunches on the weekends. Like most of us, I have been looking for ways to cut back on expenses and saw a huge money savings.

I figured out a way to save myself about $1,300 per year. Every Friday we order pizza we get two large at the pizza shop and a two liter of soda (sometimes some mozzarella sticks) and it usually comes to about $30. in my effort to be thrifty, I found a way to save some big bucks on pizza night. I buy Longos sicilian pizza crusts(i am in Pennsylvania so I'm not sure if that brand is national, however, most grocery stores have pizza kits in the prepared section or shells in the refrigerated section).  There are two in a pack (and one shell is dinner and lunch the next day). I freeze one and use the other. I buy a small can of tomato sauce and a 8 oz bag of cheese. Sometimes we'll throw some sausage or pepperoni's. It's actually kind of fun, we take turns making your own section of the pizza with what you want:)

Pizza Crusts $1.75(for one)
Sauce $0.89
Bag of Cheese $1.99

For about $4.65 I fed four adults and it comes to about $1.16 per person

Pizzaria pizza $30 per week x 52 weeks $1,560 a year
my pizza $4.65 per week x 52 weeks $241.60 a year
savings of $1,318.20 a year - thats a vacation, down payment to a car or a new dSLR (depending on the model.... hehe;)

If we would cut back to 1 time per week and lunches on the weekends - we would save about 5,000 per year or more! Crazy.... and I like to cook... Imagine if you eat out every night how much you would spend.

Just thought I would share!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swagbucks