Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Why I love photoshop... let me count the ways

I started out with the generic image enhancing software that came with my printer. The result was OK pictures. Then I bought Elements 5. It sat taking up space on my hard drive until one day I bought a book and joined a forum and the rest was history, I was hooked. I never had a mediocre picture that I sent to the photolab again. I had an arsenal of actions that I downloaded and away I went. Years later I upgraded to CS3, which is what I have now.

The following images are of my son. It was a so-so picture before and in two steps (plus a sharpen for the web) I drastically improved this pic.

Here is the before                                         Here is the after





I did an exposure adjustment layer (set the blackpoint first then upped the exposure a little) In case you are JSO with photoshop to set the black point - in the exposure pop up box that comes out, choose the black dropper and choose a spot on your picture that is or should be black and click. Then adjust your exposure slider.

Did a curves adjustment layer pulled up and to the left a little for a creamy tone to the skin.

There you have it. Anyone can do it. Even me:) This is basic. I'm sure some pros will cringe and I can normally put about 10 more steps in there when I proof for a session. However, if your just starting with photoshop or want a quick edit for your snapshots, this is a simple way to make them pop.

1 comment:

Swagbucks