Friday, December 11, 2009

A different Perspective

This is our last contest winner Jolene. Check out her website www.krookedsmilesphotography.com . Since I love to meet new people as I said before and I love learning from others, I thought I would have a mini Q&A with Jolene......

How long have you been a professional Photographer? I am just starting out but I have offically been working at my business for the last year and I am on my way to the TOP!!



How did you get into this field?
I am sure you hear this quit often but I will say it again because it is true... I have always had a camera in my hand, ALWAYS! Everywhere I went a camera tagged along! About five years ago when my brother passed away is when I really started looking at and cherishing the memories we had created together and I thought I would love to help others have their memories! Then when my son was born two years ago...I became obessed! So here I am!

What is in your camera bag?
Currently a Panasonic DMC-FZ50 w/DMW-LW55, DMW-LT55, DMW-LC55


In the process of upgrading to a Canon 5D w/50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8

What is your specialty(kids, maternity, family, etc?)... How did you find your "voice" in photography?
Children and Family all the way! Since my "Family" is the most important part of my life it gives me great joy to help other families capture memories that will last a lifetime!

What is your greatest struggle with your business? What steps have you taken in this tough economy?
 I have not been able to focus 100% on my photography business, I work a full time job also! It is extremely hard but it is a passion and a dream of mine and I went for it!!

Do you have any memorable marketing strategies or any marketing tips for the readers?
Word of Mouth!!! I can not stress that enough! Every customer has been from a friend of a friend! I strive to make all my customers happy so they will send more customers my way! Not to mention I have become good friends with the owners of my sons daycare and they Market for me! Free Marketing! Gotta Love it!


Tell us a little about yourself?
I have the most wonderful and supportive husband ever he is the one who pushed me to pursue my dreams! I am a mother to "Gods Greatest Gift" Caleb Austin, he may be a Sour-Patch kid but I wouldn't trade him for the world! He is my inspiration...My life:Family+Photography=Happiness



Do you have any advice for the novice photographer or someone who wants to break into the field?
Do what makes you happy not what others are doing! Never let your friends walk all over you! Join groups and forums and get advice from other photographers Professional and JSO it can only make you "Stronger"

 
Thanks Jolene for letting us get a glimpse of your photography journey:)
 
I love how you mention FREE advertising and Word of Mouth. As I am taking my journey, I am putting my efforts into ways to promote my business for free:) Once I am raking in the big bucks (lol) then I may throw a chunk back on a new studio or a huge marketing budget. Right now I am just chugging along without one. Word of Mouth is a powerful marketing tool:)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Swagbucks